THE NEW HIPAA
HIPAA was recently amended to dramatically increase its enforcement.
- Mandatory fines for certain violations – including improper disposal
- Maximum fine increased from $25,000 to $1,500,000
- Mandatory investigation required for certain complaints – including improper disposal
- State-level Attorneys General are now in charge of enforcement in addition to continued HHS enforcement
- Mandatory Data Breach ¬†Notification of Patients and Authorities if there is a potential data breach ‚Äď including for improper PHI disposal